From Redding to San Diego employers must now come to grips with the new Cal-OSHA and Labor Laws that have been passed in the last couple of years.
There are several new laws, and with each passing new law employers are beginning to see that some things are really changing. For as long as I can remember employers could more or less simply ignore both Cal-OSHA, and the Department of Labor. Yes it was true that from time to time you would here about either a company getting fined, or you would here of a massive class action lawsuit where millions of dollars would be awarded but then things would simply settle down again and employers could then wait for the next big wave to hit.
But these days I am noticing a big difference with these New Cal-OSHA, and Labor Laws that are being passed.
Here is what I am seeing today that is different than the old days.
- The Cal-OSHA fines are on the rise making it cost prohibitive to be in non-compliance.
- The Cal-OSHA Standards are much more stringent and they are performance based. Now you must do safety not just have a book that says you do safety.
- Labor Laws that are being passed today are much more complex then ever before.
- The California Paid Sick Leave Law effects several aspects of your employee handbook and most employers don’t even have a clue about any of that.
- Cal-OSHA has changed it’s enforcement procedures and yet refuses to publish those changes and yet the fines for non-compliance today can put an employer out of business.
As I sit at my desk my heart goes out to employers here in California. With the New Cal-OSHA and Labor Laws that have come down the pike and that are going to come down the pike, I would seriously think about moving my business out of the state. It appears that the politicians here do not have a clue nor do they seem to care about what they are doing to the employers here in California. Small business employees over 70% of the workforce and yet those are the employers that are being effected the most by all these new laws.
At the end of a very long day if does not matter how I feel about what is going with the New Cal-OSHA and Labor Laws, nor does it matter that employers for the most part don’t have a clue about how to get in compliance. The day has truly come when if you are not in compliance it will cost you. The question is not if but when.
California Employers Services has been helping employers to get and stay in compliance since 1997 and we can help you too. Give us a call and find out just how easy it can be to protect your business and get in compliance with the new Cal-OSHA and Labor Laws.
There are Three things that make us different:
- We understand what the laws are which is important, but a lot of HR Consultants can say that.
- We understand also how these laws are being enforced and that separates us from the rest.
- Everything we provide is written in a way that makes it as easy as possible for the employer to comply.